The annual meeting of the Central Committee of the Conference of the European Churches (C.E.C.) was organized in Soesterberg near Utrecht from 21 to 24 September 2010 under the presidency of His Eminence the Metropolitan of France Emmanouel (Ecumenical Patriarchate).
The Church of Cyprus was represented by His Grace Bishop Porfyrios of Neapolis, Director of the Representation of the Church of Cyprus to the European Union.
During the four day sessions several topics were examined:
- The reports of the temporary General Secretary for the period January-August 2010.
- The reports of the Directors of the three Committees of C.E.C.: Churches on a dialogue, Church and Society, and the Committee of Churches for the immigrants in Europe.
- The financial report of the year 2009 as well as the budget for the year 2010 and 2011.
- The mission of the Committee for the Constitution Revision. The Committee is working for the Revision of the Constitution of C.E.C. which will be done during the Extraordinary General Assembly in 2013.
- Concerning the office staff it was settled:
- The extension for one more year until the autumn of 2011 of F. Vionel Ionita as the temporary General Secretary until the end of the term of Colin Williams.
- The re-opening of the Director competition to the Church on Dialogue Committee, by the board of enquiry.
- The employment of a nine month Director who will ponder over the present situation of C.E.C. and will send in suggestions for the financial purification.
f ) Situated a twelve member committee which will work for the
organization of the Extraordinary General Assembly of C.E.C. in 2013.
The forty-members of the Central Committee adopted a working programme for the year 2011 with the below purposes:
- The promotion of the Church s solidarity in Theology, missionary and testimony.
- The promotion of the Ecumenical Charter.
- The representation of the Churches with a common voice to the European Institutions.
- The promotion of the coherence and the strategic aims of C.E.C.
Furthermore, a long discussion and dialogue for the mission of C.E.C. in the world today, reached to the conclusion that: the safeguard of a common platform of trade-off and communication of the Member Churches, to made up the voice of smalls and minority Churches, to promote the dialogue and Theology.
In the evening of the 23th of September the members of the plenary met with the Representatives of the Churches of Nederlands. The Central Plenary set its next meeting in September 2011.